Whispering Surf is the oldest privately-owned campground in Michigan.
The camp was first used as an Episcopalian Choir Camp in 1911. In 1913, Father Morrison started Camp Morrison as a private primitive tent camp on the dunes.
In the camp's early years, vacationers from Chicago would travel to Pentwater by steamship or train and then be transported to the camp by water taxi on Lake Michigan, where guests would walk from the beach along the Bass Lake outlet to the camp.
In 1921, a road had been built along Bass Lake to the camp, and an American-plan family resort had evolved with sleeping cabins and central pavilion. The Lodge, one of the only turn-of-the-century pavilions remaining, housed the dining and recreational activities.
In the early 1930s, the first travel trailers appeared. Many area residents attended weekly square dances.
In 1966, the camp was purchased by Reg Yaple, modernized, and renamed Whispering Surf Travel Trailer Village. Jane and Andy Hathaway owned the camp from 2017-1022.
Jeff and Lisa Hoffman and Fred Manning now own the campground, and are proud to carry on the traditions and history of this beautiful property.
Early reservations are highly recommended as we fill up fast. West Michigan has so much to offer spring, summer or fall.
Please join our family at Whispering Surf Campground where memories are made.
Jeff, Lisa, and Fred